[CentOS-mirror] 6.1 tree to the msync and msync-dvd server

Thu Dec 8 16:02:24 UTC 2011
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

I am going to release the 6.1 tree to the msync machines
(eu-msync.centos.org, us-msync.centos.org, msync.centos.org) as well as
msync-dvd.centos.org

Both the msync machines and the msync-dvd machines have geoip
capability, so they will pick a machine that is on or close to your
continent for syncing.

The targets are "rsync <your_options> msync.centos.org::CentOS/" (or
eu-msync, us-msync if you prefer ... though the system should give you
the correct one with just msync as well) ... OR ... "rsync
<your_options> msync-dvd.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd/".

The msync-dvd machines will require that your mirror has been added to
the list to be authorized.  I will monitor the centos-mirrors list and
try to add anyone who is not on there that wants to be ... BUT, for 6.1,
there is no difference in the trees.  The msync tree and the msync-dvd
trees both have the DVDs in the tree.

Initially, while we get the tree pushed, I am going to have the
permissions on the 6.1 directory set to 700 ... this is to prevent
access on our mirrors while we get some external machines synced.  I
will, after we get several dozen external mirrors synced, flip the
permissions to 755 and a subsequent rsync by you will also change your
permissions.

Obviously, you control your external servers and you can offer the tree
early after you get it in place ... but remember that our mirror list
generator will show your trees as active as it finds them, so you may
get significant traffic if you open your tree early (before other
machines get online).

If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes