[CentOS-mirror] Mirror question

Matt Ruzicka mruzicka at cisp.com
Thu Jan 6 16:10:54 EST 2011

On 01/06/2011 12:39 PM, Andre Dault wrote:

> I was wondering, how does the "fastest mirror" algorithm work?

Could/would be a nightmare in a large installation, but if you're deploying from templates or have a control management system in place I've had pretty good luck with inserting my local mirror as a baseurl before the mirrorlist.

  baseurl=http://mirror.cisp.com/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
  mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os

I could easily be missing something obvious and dangerous here, but my testing seems to show it will read from my mirror first and if it fails for some reason move on to the mirror list.  My main concern was accidentally breaking all updates if our mirror goes away for some reason, but it seems to handle it fine.

Obviously not as good as an updated mirror system, but something to maybe get some folks by.

Matt Ruzicka | Senior Systems Engineer
CISP - www.cisp.com