[CentOS-mirror] [CentOS-devel] irc meeting today re: 5.6/6.0

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Jan 19 06:35:00 EST 2011

On 01/18/2011 04:16 PM, Jim Kusznir wrote:
> and sync.  Perhaps the tree without iso's should be sync'ed on the
> mirrors first, with the iso's available only via torrents for the
> first 24-48 hrs....

This is perhaps something we can trial. But it would make kernel.org
quite unhappy. Also the other problem we have is that with over a 100
machines in 80+ DC's around the world, just seeding the .centos.org
network takes about 2 days. We did optimise some of the routes that we
use and have been doing regular pipeline testing to see what are the
best sort of rsync tree's we can setup, but 2 days is realistically the
earliest we can open msync up to external mirrors.

Then there is the issue of non-public private mirrors rsyncing off msync
and contesting with the public mirrors :/ Last time I checked ( and I
accept this was a while back ) - we had about 3800 people pulling from
msync, we dont have nearly as many public mirrors.

> In any case, I suggest/expect that the torrent seeds/downloads would
> not effect mirror operators or the servers themselves unless the admin
> decided to also seed the torrent.  Of course, all mirrors would
> benefit by offloading those users that "have to have it as soon as its
> released".
>
> Also, perhaps this would be a good time for the new mirror management
> system?

I know that Ralph is working on something of this nature, and there are
atleast a couple more people helping and there have been some spike
tests for various options. So its definitely in the pipeline, not sure
if there is a delivery-date though.

- KB