[CentOS-mirror] Request For Mirroring

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sun Jan 23 19:32:10 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 01:20:18PM -0800, administrator at openmirror.ir wrote:
> > Am 21.01.11 01:09, schrieb administrator at openmirror.ir:
> >> Hi guys.
> >> Website: www.openmirrir.ir
> >> Country: Iran, but the server is located in Germany.
>
> > So would that be a german mirror (meaning you get traffic from around
> > here) or an iranian mirror meaning there'd be traffic from the middle
> > east (which might not be that great, if the mirror is here in Germany)?
>
> > Ralph
>
> First:
> We should mention about a mistake in website name above: it is
> 'www.openmirror.ir' not 'www.openmirrir.ir'. We are sorry about this
> problem.
>
> Second:
> We are the first team from Iran to become as a mirror for CentOS so we are
> interested in becoming as an Iranian mirror although the server is in
> Germany.

[1] notes CentOS falls under US Export Restrictions [2], and generally follows
Fedora's export rules [3]:

which notes:

      Embargoed Destinations

      Fedora's software and/or technical data may NOT be
      exported/reexported, either directly or indirectly, to the following
      U.S. embargoed or restricted destinations:

      Cuba, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Sudan or Syria.

      Please note: this list is subject to change.

I believe Iraq has been removed from the State Department list, and
thus should be removed from Fedora's restricted list.  However, Iran
is still restricted.

Unfortunately, due to the above, as Mirror Wrangler for Fedora, I had
to turn down a mirror in Iran recently.

[1] http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-October/066853.html
[2] http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/iran.pdf
[3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Export

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist, Dell Office of the CTO