[CentOS-mirror] [CentOS-devel] irc meeting today re: 5.6/6.0

Nyamul Hassan

nyamul at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 12:00:09 UTC 2011

> 2) We need to be thorough in the release process. It wastes time and
>    bandwidth for mirrors to download content from one master, only to have
>    the next cycle hit a different master that doesn't have the new content
>    (at which point the mirror deletes the content it had downloaded).

This is probably the most pressing issue.  If somehow, all the masters can
be synced at first, before releasing to the public, that would greatly
reduce the gripes most mirror admins have.

> 3) Trying to pre-load a mirror from the ISOs is a manual process, it's
>    error-prone, and it's a pain in the butt. Mixed with the ping-pong
>    effect, it's not worth the time nor the trouble. Most mirrors won't get
>    the new content until they get it from rsync.

Yes, and that is why I am not very fond of the "torrents" idea.  I would
prefer to not have all the mirrors go through some manual work to update
their mirrors.  Once again, the "ping pong" is a remnant of "out of sync"
masters, as described in #2 above.

As long as seeding a 95% torrent doesn't delay the synchronization of the
> mirror network or delay the official release, I have no argument against
> it. Don't delay the mirror network to aid the torrents.
>
> In the matter of 5.6 versus 6.0, I'll echo sentiments already expressed.
> There are 5.5 machines in production today. Those machines aren't getting
> updates until 5.6 comes out. Nobody is depending on the 6.0 tree yet.
> Don't delay 5.6 for 6.0.

I would agree on this one, that 5.6 is more relevant as of now, than 6.0.

Regards
HASSAN