[CentOS-mirror] Please Add New Public CentOS Mirror

Matt Domsch

Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Fri Jun 24 19:47:10 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 04:43:04PM -0500, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> >> Okay, I added your mirror, it should show up in the mirror listing shortly.
> >>

> > Just wondering how the 5mbit limit will work - most people have that
> > kind of speed into adsl these days.
>
> It's not going to be used for mirrorlists and shows up under the
> "slower" links on the web page, fwiw.

FWIW, Fedora requests that new mirrors have at least 100Mbps
available, especially if in a developed and already well-served
country.  We'll accept lower in lesser-served countries.
MirrorManager uses a weighted random draw to select mirrors, so
mirrors advertising 5Mbps will get selected 1/20 as often as mirrors
advertising 100Mbps, or 1/200 as often as mirrors advertising 1Gbps.

This helps us not overload the lower-capacity mirrors while being
able to take some advantage of them.  However, it's often about these
slower mirrors that I receive end user complaints due to the slow
speed.

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist