[CentOS-mirror] Mirror logic

Fri Aug 17 09:19:07 UTC 2012

On 08/17/2012 06:51 AM, Seamus Ryan wrote:
> Is someone able to provide me with information on how fastest mirrors
> plugin + multiple mirrors operates? We run

At the moment, there is noway to lockdown which mirror is handed out to
which IP or AS. Its something that is on the ToDo list ( and the move to
MirrorManager ).

At the moment, the system works by selecting the best closest mirrors to
the IP, checked out by GeoIP lookup to the country level, and hands them
out - they are randomised to get a good spread across all mirrors (eg.
in the US we have over a 100 mirrors, and we want to try and get as many
of them traffic as possible ).

Almost all mirrorlist calls should return mirrors in the country ( if we
have some there ) and some from nearby ( geo ) countries.

FastestMirror will do a socket connect to each of those machines and
order by speed of connection, it isnt foolproof but the results are
usually 200% to 250% better than the unordered list.

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219    | Yahoo IM: z00dax      | Gtalk: z00dax