[CentOS-mirror] Mirror logic

Fri Aug 17 05:51:11 UTC 2012
Seamus Ryan <s.ryan at uber.com.au>

Hi there,

Is someone able to provide me with information on how fastest mirrors plugin + multiple mirrors operates? We run http://centos.mirror.uber.com.au which is located in our network. We sync every few hours so we are almost always up to date. However, even when running updates from within our network we find it is quite random as to where we are sent. Ideally we would like all of our updates to come directly from our mirror but this does not appear to be happening.

An example is shown here:

http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?ip=113.20.13.218&arch=x86_64&repo=os&release=6.2

The above IP being the actual IP of our mirror server. Similar results for almost all ranges within our network. Some of the other projects we mirror (epel for example) allow us to specify our public IP netblocks to ensure we are always sent directly to our mirror (assuming it is up to date). Can anyone provide some insight into how we can achieve best results here?

Cheers,
Seamus
Seamus Ryan
Platform Engineer
Switch 13 UBER (8237)
Direct +61 2 6163 9312
Mobile +61 458 858 020
Email s.ryan at uber.com.au<mailto:s.ryan at uber.com.au>
Web www.uber.com.au<http://www.uber.com.au/>
[Description: Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/UberGlobal>[Description: UberGlobal Blog]<http://www.uber.com.au/blog/>[Description: Linked In]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/1076575>[Description: Twitter]<http://twitter.com/uberglobal>
[Description: UberGlobal Always Ahead | geek - business - enterprise : GPO Box 1515 Canberra ACT 2601. Uber House, Level 2, 92 Northbourne Ave Braddon ACT 2612.]