[CentOS-mirror] Mirror logic

Mon Aug 20 08:02:34 UTC 2012
Anssi Johansson <centos at miuku.net>

Seamus Ryan kirjoitti:
> Is someone able to provide me with information on how fastest mirrors
> plugin + multiple mirrors operates? We run
> http://centos.mirror.uber.com.au which is located in our network. We
> sync every few hours so we are almost always up to date. However, even
> when running updates from within our network we find it is quite random
> as to where we are sent. Ideally we would like all of our updates to
> come directly from our mirror but this does not appear to be happening.

As Karanbir mentioned, MirrorManager would let us do exactly that.
Unfortunately the CentOS MM installation is not quite there yet.

But I'd like to add that your mirror seems to have an IPv6 address, so
it'll get listed on the IPv6 mirrorlist as well. It seems that your
mirror has been unreachable over IPv6 from the IPv6 mirror monitoring
server between 9th August - 19th August, and thus it hasn't been
included on the IPv6 mirrorlist during that time. Considering that you
posted your message on the 17th, perhaps this has been one of the
reasons you were observing reduced usage of your mirror. Admittedly the
IPv6 mirror monitoring server is located across the world in Finland
(it'll be moved to France soon), so there are lots of possibilities for
various routing hiccups along the path. Everything seems to be working
fine now, though.