[CentOS-mirror] new centos mirror

Anssi Johansson

centosmirror at miuku.net
Sun Feb 19 17:03:29 UTC 2012

Ralph Angenendt kirjoitti:
> On 03.02.2012 17:19, Dan page wrote:
>> location: Fergus Falls, MN
>> http only
>> direct dvd yes
>> all arch
>> MAX BANDWIDTH 20mbps
>
> Nothing personal, but 20mbps really isn't enough to run a mirror on - or
> rather: With having a large part of our mirrors in the US with 100mbps
> and up to several gbps, I'd rather not point anyone at a mirror with
> that bandwidth.
>
> But thank you very much for wanting to support CentOS!

For those wanting to contribute some bandwidth for CentOS, one option
would be to set up a Bittorrent seeder for the CentOS .iso torrents. The
torrents can be found from the respective iso directories and obviously
the seeders don't need to be "registered" in any way. This method works
also for those who have limited upstream bandwidth. There's little
demand for the older versions, so concentrating on the newest versions
(ie. 5.7 and 6.2 at the moment) is usually sufficient.

I'm operating such a server myself and I'd estimate that it has
transferred some 7TB of CentOS data so far. It's probably not that much
compared to the other official mirros, but every bit helps, I'd say.