[CentOS-mirror] How can I be a internal mirror?

Jeff Fisher

jeff at lfchosting.com
Wed Mar 7 18:23:52 UTC 2012

> At the moment, if you want to ensure that you use your local
> mirror, you need to edit the .repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d to
> change baseurl to point specifically to your repository (and
> comment out the mirrorlist line).  Otherwise, YUM gets a list of
> random mirrors in your country, which may still be very far away.

Another option which might be easier depending your local set up and how
many machines you have is what I've done :)

On your local caching nameservers:

zone "mirrorlist.centos.org" IN {
         type master;
         file "localmirror.zone";
         allow-update { none; };
         allow-transfer { XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX; };
};

and in localmirror.zone beyond your usual SOA/NS records, put in an A
record that points to an http server that you control.

And a simple index.php

<?php

$base = "/var/ftp/pub";

if (isset($_GET["release"]) && isset($_GET["arch"]) &&
isset($_GET["repo"])) {
         $partial_path = sprintf("centos/%s/%s/%s", $_GET["release"],
$_GET["repo"], $_GET["arch"]);

         if (!file_exists(sprintf("%s/%s/repodata", $base,
$partial_path))) {
                 echo $_GET["release"] . " is not a valid release or
hasnt been released yet\n";
                 exit;
         }

         echo sprintf("http://mirror.example.com/%s/\n", $partial_path);
         exit;
}

It will also catch machines that you don't have an easy way to modify
the repo files on.

Jeff