[CentOS-mirror] Some IPv6 mirrors not reachable by IPv6

Sun May 6 21:30:02 UTC 2012

Hi Matt,

On 05/04/2012 11:17 PM, Matt Domsch wrote:
> can't abide.  CentOS in particular has plenty of mirrors worldwide,
> far more than many projects, with plenty of competent sysadmins.
> Don't create more work for yourself to manage a (transient) list of
> mirrors that have functional IPv6.

Right, not longer term - but this was more of a stop-gap arrangement to
get something going while we wait for MM to come online, longer term we
would not want to manage something like this manually anyway.

> The MirrorManager crawler would, through using urlgrabber, try to
> establish an IPv6 connection to a mirror with an AAAA record first.  I
> don't know if it would fall back to try A records if IPv6 fails, but I
> presume not.  Such failing AAAA records would then cause the crawler
> to mark the mirror as not up-to-date, and automatically drop them from
> the mirrorlist until such a time their AAAA record actually works.  I
> say "probably" here only because Fedora's infrastructure where this
> runs for them doesn't have IPv6 connectivity yet, so I haven't tested
> it in production use.

Does that then imply that machines which do have an AAAA will not be
used / served for A records ? ( or tested for that matter )

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219    | Yahoo IM: z00dax      | Gtalk: z00dax