[CentOS-mirror] Port Scans

Ralph Angenendt

ralph.angenendt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 21:22:48 UTC 2013

On 04.03.2013 10:45, Info | HostingXtreme.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to know from other Mirror Hosts experience:
>
>    - Do you receive a lot of port scan attempts on your mirror machine?

AFAICS: None out of the ordinary background hum of the intarwebz.

>    - Does the CentOS Mirror Monitor (http://mirror-status.centos.org/) use
>    any known IPs? What is the method of monitoring?

Anything from us comes from 72.232.223.58 (or .59, .62). We actually
connect to the mirrors to collect the timestamp files, for our
mirrorlist we also do a few more extensive checks. This means actually
connecting per FTP.

This can change, might we need to move this to another machine.

Cheers,

Ralph