[CentOS-mirror] rsync -H flag

Thomas Thomas.Beaver at Outlook.com
Sat Oct 19 16:51:35 UTC 2013

If I add that to my CRON, will it remove the duplicates I already have or
would I need to delete and resync my entire mirror?

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-mirror-bounces at centos.org
[mailto:centos-mirror-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Anssi Johansson
Sent: Saturday, October 19, 2013 9:56 AM
To: Mailing list for CentOS mirrors.; Mailing list for CentOS mirrors.
Subject: [CentOS-mirror] rsync -H flag

Hi guys, CentOS 5.10 is currently being synced to mirrors.

While monitoring the synchronization status, I noticed that there are a
number of mirrors that apparently don't use the -H flag to preserve hard
links. Using that flag would have multiple benefits:

1) Reduced hard disk space. Some i386 packages are also present in the
x86_64 tree. These are hard links with their counterparts in the i386
directory. By using the hard links, those files would need to be stored only
once on your hard disk.

2) Faster sync times at release. Almost every package in 5.10 is already in
a 5.9 directory -- either cr, fasttrack, os or updates. Those not using the
rsync -H flag will now need to download the 5.10 os RPMs, instead of just
making more hard links to the already existing files.
Obviously this does not apply to the .iso files, those will need to be
downloaded in any case.

3) Bandwidth consumption would also be reduced, both from your side and from
the CentOS msync service side. The msync servers are under a very heavy
burden at release times, therefore anything that reduces the traffic would
help everyone.

For reference: http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreatePublicMirrors