[CentOS-mirror] Wrong mirrors returned by http://mirrorlist.centos.org/

Thu Jul 17 08:28:23 UTC 2014
Mark Karpeles <mark at tibanne.com>

Hi,

We are installing CentOS on various servers, however we only receive
Chinese mirrors with seriously low bandwidth (actually download hangs
after a few MB) while we are located in Japan.

# curl 'http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=6.5&arch=x86_64&repo=os'
http://mirrors.hustunique.com/centos/6.5/os/x86_64/
http://mirrors.hust.edu.cn/centos/6.5/os/x86_64/
http://mirrors.aliyun.com/centos/6.5/os/x86_64/
http://mirrors.yun-idc.com/centos/6.5/os/x86_64/
http://mirrors.btte.net/centos/6.5/os/x86_64/
http://centos.ustc.edu.cn/centos/6.5/os/x86_64/
http://mirrors.skyshe.cn/centos/6.5/os/x86_64/
http://mirrors.stuhome.net/centos/6.5/os/x86_64/
http://ftp.stust.edu.tw/pub/Linux/CentOS/6.5/os/x86_64/
http://ftp.tc.edu.tw/Linux/CentOS/6.5/os/x86_64

We are doing queries from IP range 118.27.0.0/16. Sometimes we get
some Japanese mirrors in the list (and those are really fast), but
sometimes there is not even a single one.

For information China usually has very bad bandwidth to other
countries (the case for many Asian countries actually), as such
Chinese mirrors are not suitable for hosts located in Japan (and the
other way around).

Anyway I'm not sure how mirrorlist.centos.org works, but anyway I hope
this issue can be solved one way or another.

Thanks,
Mark