[CentOS-mirror] Wrong mirrors returned by http://mirrorlist.centos.org/

Thu Jul 17 10:21:13 UTC 2014
Mark Karpeles <mark at tibanne.com>

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 7:15 PM, Fabian Arrotin
<fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net> wrote:
> The mirrorlist process checks the incoming IP and queries the GeoIP.dat
> database (geolite from Maxmind) and then verify the actual list of valid
> mirrors for that country : if not enough mirrors in that country are
> available, the mirrorlist script adds several mirrors from a nearby country.

The situation is not correct. For example:
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=6.5&arch=x86_64&repo=os&ip=118.27.8.150

The returned list is obviously made up of mostly Chinese or Taiwanese mirrors.

According to https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip_demo the IP I provided
is indeed seen in Japan (MaxMind used to show our range in China,
maybe GeoIP.dat needs to be updated?)

Mark