[CentOS-mirror] This mirror is slow

Bryan Whitehead driver at megahappy.net
Fri Mar 28 20:06:39 UTC 2014

This is from Digital Ocean "San Francisco 1". Subnet is 107.170.227.0/24.

My download starts off at about 20MB/sec and is quickly slowed down to
about 10k/sec for about 2mins, then it slowly gets back to about 5MB/sec
(just doing a liveCD iso download). I'm also opening up tickets with the
Digital Ocean guys - maybe they are doing something?

Previously I had my own centos mirror in several co-lo's, but funding
issues are causing us to shutdown our co-lo's and switch to hosted.
Maintaining our own mirror is no longer in the budget. When I had my own
mirror I never experienced any slowdown at all - even when pulling across
co-lo's (mirror was not public).

My other theory is disk IO on your mirror might be slow - so unless I'm
hitting hot files that are cached I get bad IO. Example: doing a "yum
groupinstall Additional Development" is particularly bad if gatech mirror
happens to get picked.