[CentOS-mirror] CentOS-mirror Digest, Vol 111, Issue 17

Christian Freund

freund at wrz.de
Fri May 30 11:34:22 UTC 2014

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: centos-mirror-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-mirror-bounces at centos.org] Im Auftrag von Fabian Arrotin
Gesendet: Freitag, 30. Mai 2014 13:05
An: centos-mirror at centos.org
Betreff: Re: [CentOS-mirror] CentOS-mirror Digest, Vol 111, Issue 17

>On 29/05/14 00:15, Aaron Hong wrote:
>> How much bandwidth is need for an mirror? Is 5TB enough?
>>

>It's always difficult to answer, as it depends on a bunch of factors, like are there a lot of mirrors in your country, is it a major release time (like the packet storm that will happen when CentOS 7 will be available and released), etc, etc ..

>The good wiki page http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreatePublicMirrors
>mentions normally 15Tb but as already said, it's just a wild estimate.
>Can you give us more details about where the potential mirror would be located ?

We have between 3TB and 5TB upstream volume each month just for the CentOS mirror, more is technically possible so 5TB is a close limit. You should overthink: When your isp/peer already has a limit and they check/meter it and you pay less than "unlimited" customers while you keep using most of your volume each month they might want to change terms soon.