[CentOS-mirror] private mirror question(s)

Fabian Arrotin arrfab at centos.org
Mon Nov 3 17:24:51 UTC 2014

On 03/11/14 18:14, Chad Feller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently mirror CentOS, Fedora, and Fedora-EPEL at my
> university. For the Fedora side of things, I registered with their
> mirror manager system, checked it as a private mirror, gave it our
> netblock, and ASN, and people at our university are automatically
> routed to it.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, for CentOS it is a little harder.
> There doesn't seem to be a mirror manager like system available,
> and everything is manually updated via this mailing list.  For
> systems managed by me, this hasn't been a problem as I use Puppet
> to push out a custom CentOS-Base.repo file.  But for everyone else
> on campus, they can only use the mirror if a), then know about it,
> and b) if they feel like editing their CentOS-base file.  If they
> were automatically directed to it, as they are with Fedora, that
> would be ideal.

Other option (transparent for such users) is to redirect
mirrorlist.centos.org to an internal machine, and answering with just
your internal mirror.

> I would just make it a public mirror, but there is some university
>  politics about opening it up to the outside world as we have to
> pay for our bandwidth.
>
> So my questions are as follows:
>
> 1) Is there anything in place to register a private mirror with the
>  CentOS mirroring infrastructure?

No, and the current mirrorlist process would need access to also list
such mirror in the currently "tested" mirrors list. So that will not
work in your case.

> 2) Is there a way I can be allowed to sync from
> us-msync.centos.org?  I was able to sync from it for well over a
> year until it was shut off a few months back preceding the release
> of CentOS 7.  (I'm currently having to sync from a second tier
> mirror.)

No, and the reason was explained in the past : we obviously want
faster releases to public mirrors, as themselves will be used to serve
CentOS trees/updates/isos to the outside world. So your option is to
do what you're doing right now : fetching from a public mirror listed
on http://centos.org/download/mirrors/

- --

Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab