[CentOS-mirror] Mirror not listed for updates x86_64 version 6

Grzegorz Paszka grzegorz at paszka.com
Wed Jul 1 23:27:01 UTC 2015

W dniu 2015-06-30 11:40, Fabian Arrotin pisze:

>> I think that limit of 10 mirrors on mirrorlist site is not
>> profitable for users. Very good example is USA. Centos has 145
>> mirrors in USA. If you present only 10 it's probably that users use
>> not optimal mirror sites for them. Yum has fastestmirror plugin,
>> let the user to choose the best mirror for him.
> True, and the 10 mirror limit is quite old (from where the scripts
> were written, and don't known the real reason) but it does that for
> every country, and not on a "country basis".
> Logic is the following : it tries for a country to find at least 10
> nodes that are "current " (so providing the same repodata as on
> master, or at least in cache), and if it can't , it add some nodes
> from nearby countries (which are up2date)
>
> We can discuss that limit at the moment, but don't forget that the
> more you add mirrors in the the list, the more outgoing checks
> yum-fastestmirror-plugin will also do .. so finding the correct
> balance is always a difficult game.
True, balance is important. Default repo configuration for Centos-Base
has enabled [base] [updates] [extras] [centosplus] [contrib] . For each
repo it is possible to get 10 totally different mirror sites . It means
that it is possible by default that fastestmirror plugin will check 50
sites. Of course only in country with 50 or more centos mirrors. In
countries with less than 50 mirror sites it is very likely that all host
are already checked and users won't notice the difference in
"fastestmirror check time" after the number of mirror sites returned by
mirrorlist will be increased. Only USA users has more than 50 mirror
sites but USA users IMHO will be also happy because they will be use
better mirror from their point of view. We shouldn't forget that
fastestmirror plugin does check procedure from time to time (on centos 6
maxhostfileage=10, for me it means 10 days). So it not a big deal to
wait a bit longer three times in a month to get "nearest" mirror site.

Best regards.
---
Grzegorz