[CentOS-mirror] Availability of 'altarch' on mirrors ?

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Oct 14 16:39:58 UTC 2015

On 14/10/15 12:47, Jarek Polok wrote:
> I understand this concern but since all official mirror owners are
> on this mailing list perhaps it would be sufficient to inform everybody
> about it few weeks/months in advance ? (and update howto at
> https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreatePublicMirrors accordingly..)

right, I appreciate that - however, the goto release for aarch64
happened very quickly, we had literally 2 days to workout the entire
process and so took the safest option that gives us the most
expandability down the road.

> (also: isn't RH going to release 7.X for aarch64 in the future ? ..
> in that case would CentOS 7 for aarch64 be in same place as x86_64 or
> in altarch ?)

if they do, when they do, then if we have a clear downstream build, that
would end up in /centos/ space, till then ( and maybe beyond ) we would
keep the altarch/ space going for this.

There is an ongoing conversation about what makes a SIG content be
CentOS Linux branded and what makes it CentOS AltArch Branded, and
hopefully in the coming months we can get a tangible plan in place to
facilitate migration. This is also why I've tried to stay away from the
idea of a secondary arch or a primary arch. Every build should be able
to flourish on its own merits, we just need to communicate to the user
base what that implies.

>> The plan is to open rsync for these targets as wide as possible, to
>> allow anyone wanting to opt into these to grab it from us. In the mean
>> time we still need to workout how mirrorlist.centos.org is going to
>> handle these, and how other SIGs are able to consume and extend this
>> content.
>>

> Ok, so for now the only way to mirror the i686 altarch tree
> is to get it over http at: http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/ ?
>
> (we are using these 32bit packages in our internal build
> system, so far we mirror from buildlogs.centos.org ..
> which is not very practical ..)

we should have these on rsync in the coming days. Likely tomorrow.

--
Karanbir Singh