[CentOS-mirror] centos mirror @ seas.harvard.edu

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Apr 22 05:00:28 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 12:31:31AM -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:

> > >But not using --delay-updates means that the yum repo could be in an
> > >inconsistent/nonfuctional state until the sync finishes.  That isn't
> > >good for a public mirror.
> >
> > If also using --delete-delay, the files to be deleted will be
> > deleted only at the end of sync, reducing the chances of anything
> > breaking. Although I see your point, I believe the base repositories
> > (os, updates, extras, fasttrack etc) would end up getting synced in
> > such a sequence that yum won't get confused. The repodata directory
> > tends to get synced last, and it is not harmful if there are .rpm
> > files on the mirror that are not yet referenced in the repodata.
>
> "tends to get synced last" isn't something to rely on.
>
> Instead, you could sync everything except the repodata, then do a 2nd
> sync of just the repodata.

I should correct my statement above.  The first sync should sync
everything except the repodata/ directories, and not do any --delete.
The second sync should then do --delay-updates on the full tree.
There was a long discussion about this on the Red Hat mirror list in
2009.  It is probably just easier to always use --delay-updates
--delete-delay so you dont have to get things "just right" with the
manual methods.  You might also need to increase --timeout if you are
having problems with timeouts...y

Some excerpts from the 2009 discussion: