[CentOS-mirror] Correct contact address?

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Sat Jan 23 19:01:21 UTC 2016

On Sat, January 23, 2016 10:37 am, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> Note: I'm speaking for myself here.  I'm not affiliated in any way
> with the CentOS project, other than being an interested party who
> mirrors and uses the project.
>
> I think it is unreasonable to expect a project you are mirroring to
> respond to such requests as below.  It isn't scalable to have hundreds
> or thousands of mirrors send such requests to "verify your email
> address" to a project such as CentOS or any other open source project.
> Can you imagine if everyone who followed the Linux Kernel list sent
> such a request?  It is your duty as a mirror admin to keep informed
> enough about the projects you are mirroring to know the contact
> information, or to discover this information as needed.  I also think
> it is unnecessary to send such requests, because most big open source
> projects aren't in the habit of changing their contact information,
> and if they do, it is usually widely announced well in advance.  This
> information is also prominantly available on the CentOS Mirror web
> site.
>
> As to your other message about this mailing list, I can see your point
> about wanting to be notified of important topics without having to see
> every mundane email about routine requests from other mirror admins.
> It would help mirror admins to keep informed if there were an
> announcement-only list such as centos-mirror-announce at centos.org.
>
> Remember, CentOS is a community project and we are all volunteers
> here.  There are probably hundreds of members of this list who see
> every email sent here, most of whom are mirror admins just like
> yourself.

Chuck, I hope, your reasoning reaches their minds. I personally find it
counter productive to reason with people who didn't have any reasoning
about what they are doing in the first place. Like the ones placing such a
blatant requests, or the ones letting their "vacation" auto-responses sent
to mail lists they are subscribed to.

Just my $0.02.

Valeri

> Respectfully,
> Chuck Anderson
>
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 01:57:36PM +0100, Carsten Otto wrote:
>> Dear CentOS admins,
>>
>> I'm an administrator of ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de, and your project is
>> mirrored by us.
>>
>> Right now I'm preparing a clean list of projects and corresponding
>> contact addresses, so that we can get into touch with you more easily.
>>
>> As there are a few upcoming changes, news, and questions from our side,
>> please make sure to **confirm/update your contact address(es)** used for
>> this mail, also shown below. Another mail with more actual content will
>> be sent around next week or so.
>>
>>   centos-mirror at centos.org
>>
>> A short "OK" response would be great, and we'd be happy to update the
>> contact information where necessary.
>>
>> Thank you very much,
>> Carsten
>> --