[CentOS-mirror] Correct contact address?

Sat Jan 23 16:37:25 UTC 2016
Chuck Anderson <cra at WPI.EDU>

Note: I'm speaking for myself here.  I'm not affiliated in any way
with the CentOS project, other than being an interested party who
mirrors and uses the project.

I think it is unreasonable to expect a project you are mirroring to
respond to such requests as below.  It isn't scalable to have hundreds
or thousands of mirrors send such requests to "verify your email
address" to a project such as CentOS or any other open source project.
Can you imagine if everyone who followed the Linux Kernel list sent
such a request?  It is your duty as a mirror admin to keep informed
enough about the projects you are mirroring to know the contact
information, or to discover this information as needed.  I also think
it is unnecessary to send such requests, because most big open source
projects aren't in the habit of changing their contact information,
and if they do, it is usually widely announced well in advance.  This
information is also prominantly available on the CentOS Mirror web
site.

As to your other message about this mailing list, I can see your point
about wanting to be notified of important topics without having to see
every mundane email about routine requests from other mirror admins.
It would help mirror admins to keep informed if there were an
announcement-only list such as centos-mirror-announce at centos.org.

Remember, CentOS is a community project and we are all volunteers
here.  There are probably hundreds of members of this list who see
every email sent here, most of whom are mirror admins just like
yourself.

Respectfully,
Chuck Anderson