[CentOS-mirror] Problems with outdated mirrors

Fabian Arrotin

arrfab at centos.org
Thu Dec 7 14:17:05 UTC 2017

On 07/12/17 12:41, Diego Santa Cruz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been experiencing problems with outdated mirrors. From the mirrorlist we get in Switzerland, one has not been updated in several days but is picked up very often as the source because it has very good connectivity to our place. This means I am not getting any of the recent security updates, which is a problem.
>
> What is the policy for kicking out mirrors from the list returned by http://mirrorlist.centos.org/ ?
>
> The problematic mirror in question is mirror.yannic-bonenberger.com which has the repodata from Nov 28 and according to http://mirror-status.centos.org/ it is old by 4.4 days and very often is.
>
> I would like to avoid having to switch to using mirror.centos.org instead of the mirrorlist to be able to get timely updates.
>
> Thanks,

Hi,

I noticed a small issue on the node generating the mirrorlist, and
that's fixed.

Some clarification needed though :  you have to also understand is that
each repo is tested individually, so while mirror-status can give you an
idea about how "old" or current a mirror is (at the top level), it can
be that mirrorlist will still redirect to that node for /os/ (as it's
validated and doesn't change so is "up2date") while it will not be
included for /updates/ (as it's several days behind what's current)

Examples :

curl -4
'http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=7&arch=x86_64&repo=updates&cc=ch'
=> will not list that node

 curl -4 'http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=7&arch=x86_64&repo=os&cc=ch'
 => will include that node (as 'os' is still correct and node reachable)

Let me know if that answers your question
--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab