[CentOS-mirror] Iran CentOs mirror

Anssi Johansson centos at miuku.net
Sun Jan 1 23:54:55 UTC 2017

1.1.2017, 23.18, Ehsan Golpayegani kirjoitti:
> I thought the problem with sanctions regarding software is solved,
> specially open source softwares that will not be used for commercial
> purpose,

Unfortunately the export restrictions are still in place.

https://www.centos.org/legal/ states "CentOS software and technical
information may be subject to the U.S. Export Administration Regulations
(the “EAR”) and other U.S. and foreign laws and may not be exported,
re-exported or transferred (a) to any country listed in Country Group
E:1 in Supplement No. 1 to part 740 of the EAR (currently, Cuba, Iran,
North Korea, Sudan & Syria)"

The Export Administration Regulations are on
https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/regulations/export-administration-regulations-ear
and specifically, the last page of the document "Supplement No. 1 to
Part 740 - Country Groups" linked from that page does indeed
unfortunately include Iran.

Until the U.S. administration changes its mind and changes the list,
your mirror can't be added to the CentOS list of mirrors. This is
unfortunate, but changing the EAR Country Groups is a political issue
and definitely outside the scope of this mailing list.

disclaimers: I'm not a lawyer, I'm not a U.S. citizen and I don't work
for Red Hat or CentOS; my interpretation of these legal issues is only
my own personal opinion.