[CentOS-mirror] SSL for mirrors?

cdnops at as250.net cdnops at as250.net
Tue Jan 17 13:52:09 UTC 2017

Dear Ryan,

I am curious...

which advantages did you intend to get out of the redirect?

imho doesn't offer any increase in security at all:

1) The packages are signed, so their integrity is protected.

2) Confidentiality of the request is already broken before the redirect.

3) MITM/Downgrade can already happen there.

So unless HTTPS becomes standard delivery method or HSTS is honored,
this is a moot exercise anyway that just leads to lower performance.

If HTTPS becomes the standard delivery method, against which CA base
will certificates be checked? Having signed packages already solves this
problem nicely and at the most convenient layer.

Please don't get me wrong... generally I think enabling TLS is a
great idea, but in this case I'm doubtful of the benefit.

Kind regards
AS250.net
CDN OPS