[CentOS-mirror] help for setting up new mirror.

Christopher Hawker

christopherh1992 at outlook.com.au
Wed Jan 4 06:49:03 UTC 2017

Hi Ben,

Last time I checked my mirror, the CentOS mirror was using about 220GB disk space. Allowing for future growth, I would allocate 350-400GB for the medium to long term.

On my mirror, I have it accessible by going to http://mirror.chrishawker.com.au/centos. If you are planning to mirror multiple distributions, then create a sub-folder for each distribution. There are a lot of mirrors that use the mirror subdomain.

This is just something extra that you can do (if you like, but not required), you can also run a status/lastsync page on your website. I have inserted some PHP code into a WordPress page that allows me to display the contents of a text file. My mirror scripts all run the following command:

date -u > /fakepath/centos/lastsync_mirror.chrishawker.com.au.txt

Then in the WordPress pages, I enter this code (note, you will need the insert-php plugin):

[insert_php] echo file_get_contents( "http://mirror.chrishawker.com.au/centos/lastsync_mirror.chrishawker.com.au.txt" ); [/insert_php]

Using just standard PHP, change the square bracket tags for the <?php and ?> tags respectively.

When it comes to deciding where to store your content, I created a RAID5 device (/dev/md0) which mounts to a folder in the server's root directory (/, not the /root directory). My mirror server is dedicated to mirroring so I changed the default web directory to the folder in the root. Did have some issues at the start, but I resolved it within the first day (errors were my own doing).

Anything else or something you are not too sure about, please ask.

Regards,
Christopher Hawker