[CentOS-mirror] How the mirrors work?

Fabian Arrotin

arrfab at centos.org
Thu Jan 12 12:21:23 UTC 2017

On 09/01/17 18:35, Ryan Nix wrote:
> Quick question: For some reason, when I do a yum update or yum makecache fast on a newly deployed system our local mirror is almost never selected. It’s very strange because a) It’s a public mirror physically located on campus, so it’s closest and b) the mirror is run on a gigabit connection with a solid state hard drive. Does anyone have any ideas on why our local mirror is almost never choosen as one of the fastest available mirrors?

There is no ASN/subnet checking but only GeoIP for country.
The current code produces random lists with 10 validated mirrors, so
your public mirror can be added, removed, added back in the yum
mirrorlist multiple times a day (and the more mirrors in the same
country, the less chances to be always referenced)

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab