[CentOS-mirror] New Mirror South Africa

Anssi Johansson

avij at centosproject.org
Wed Mar 15 01:55:35 UTC 2017

14.3.2017, 20.21, luis amaya kirjoitti:
> HTTP: http://repos-jnb.psychz.net/centos
> FTP: ftp://repos-jnb.psychz.net/
> RSYNC: rsync://repos-jnb.psychz.net/Centos
>
> Sync schedule: Every 8 hours
> Bandwidth:  1GBP
> Location:  South Africa, Johannesburg
> Sponsor: psychz.net
> Sponsor URL: www.psychz.net
> IP to authorize: 172.107.92.26
> Email contact: support at psychz.net

Thanks, this and the three other mirrors have now been added and will
show up on the lists shortly. You should be able to rsync directly from
msync.centos.org and us-msync.centos.org now.

My only concern was with the IP address of the mirror in Johannesburg.
Testing 172.107.92.26 on https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip-demo gave me
US, CA as the location. Traceroute shows that the server is indeed in
South Africa, but GeoIP databases don't know that yet.

I would recommend updating your netblock's information via
https://support.maxmind.com/geoip-data-correction-request/ -- any
updates done here will trickle down to GeoIP databases used by CentOS as
well (according to their own schedules; changes aren't immediately
visible everywhere).

If the netblock remains identified as an U.S. netblock, the other
servers near your South African mirrors will be identified as being in
U.S., and mirrorlist.centos.org will offer them U.S. mirrors instead of
your local mirror. This might not be optimal.

But I'll leave this for your consideration. Thanks for the mirrors :)