[CentOS-mirror] New mirror

Anssi Johansson

avij at centosproject.org
Sat Mar 18 17:16:52 UTC 2017

18.3.2017, 18.25, Mach Host kirjoitti:
> hello,
>
> this ip is from SOFTLAYER, softlayer has servers in mexico but is not
> peering with mexican providers in order to save some money, all traffic
> going to softlayer is routed thought dallas.
>
> So, please delete all centos mirrors from softlayer as they are not
> peering in mexico
> then provide me a true mexican ip so i can perform the tracert.
>
> Here i attach a tracert from my server and from my home in mexico, BOTH
> are forced to go throught Dallas by $oftlayer

I'm sorry my example of a Mexican IP address was not good enough for
you. That was not a mirror's IP address, but that is probably not
relevant. Softlayer does peer with some Mexican providers, but
apparently not with the ones you are using. Which Mexican ISPs are you
peering with?

But the thing is, I can find tons of examples where traceroute to your
server goes through U.S., but none that would show that it would go
directly from a host in Mexico to your mirror. In this situation, I
believe the burden of proof is on you. Extraordinary claims require
extraordinary evidence, as the saying goes.

Please find me an example traceroute which shows true Mexico <-> Mexico
connectivity and then I can have a closer look. This would also need to
be something that I can verify myself -- examples of such verifiable
claims include ISPs' looking glass websites, where I can give an IP
address and the website will run a traceroute to the specified address.

I would also like to reiterate that I don't particularly care where the
servers itself are located, but where they are exposed to the rest of
the Internet. If you route all the mirror's traffic through some VPN to
a U.S. IP address, it is a U.S. mirror from our point of view and not a
Mexican mirror.