[CentOS-mirror] Some disabled mirrors and CentOS 7.4.1708

Anssi Johansson

avij at centosproject.org
Thu Sep 7 08:40:40 UTC 2017

Hi, I just disabled 27 mirrors that had been unreachable since our
mirror monitoring node move a few months ago, and those mirrors that
were last synced more than half a year ago. If you find that your mirror
has disappeared from http://mirror-status.centos.org/ and wish to be
reinstated, please let me know. Note that if you are no longer listed as
a mirror, your mirror's IP addresses have also been removed from the
msync.centos.org ACL, so you may need to re-sync from some other
external mirror first.

There were also 18 rsync URLs and 12 FTP URLs that had been inaccessible
for the last 7 months. Those were also removed from the list, leaving
the other URLs for each mirror intact. This change will help users (and
new mirror admins) in finding a working rsync URL for their rsyncing needs.

In other happier news, CentOS 7.4.1708 is approaching. You already have
nearly all of 7.4.1708's packages because those were shipped in
7.3.1611's CR repository. Using rsync's -H option (preserve hard links)
will simply link the 7.3.1611 CR and 7.4.1708 base packages together
when 7.4.1708 is released to mirrors, saving quite a lot of bandwidth.
Obviously the hard linking will not help with the 16GB of 7.4.1708 .iso
images. The old 7.3.1611 release will be removed from mirrors later on.