[CentOS-mirror] Reposync or rsync - What's the best for creating a local mirror

Christopher Hawker christopher at colonet.com.au
Wed May 23 06:22:22 UTC 2018

Hello Joerg,

I would say to use rsync, but it appears as though Anssi has beat me to it 😝, and as it's the simplest method to sync. Here's the contents from my Crontab file:

18 0,6,12,18 * * * rsync -aqzH msync.centos.org::CentOS /mirror/centos >/dev/null 2>&1
44 3,9,15,21 * * * rsync -aqzH msync.centos.org::altarch /mirror/centos-altarch >/dev/null 2>&1

Two lines, and done! Our CentOS mirror updates at the 18 minutes past midnight, 6am, 12pm and 6pm. AltArch updates at 44 minutes past 3am, 9am, 3pm and 9pm. The reason I select random minutes is so that our mirror is not affected by heavy loads and reduces our load on the master sync nodes.

HTH,
Christopher Hawker.