[CentOS-mirror] Reposync or rsync - What's the best for creating a local mirror

Wed May 23 05:59:08 UTC 2018
Jörg Kastning <joerg.kastning at uni-bielefeld.de>

Hi all,

I'm going to create a local mirror using information found on:
https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreateLocalMirror

 From the I know that I could use reposync or an rsync script to sync my
mirror. But I'm not sure what the pros and cons of either method are.

As far as I know I have to choose one specific mirror nearby when using
rsync. If this mirror is not available I have to change my script to use
another one.

Using reposync I guess it would choose the fastest mirror from the
configured yum repos of my installation.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong in my assumptions.

Maybe in the future I would like to provide a public mirror. Is there
any preferred sync method for this scenario?

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Regards,
Joerg