[CentOS-mirror] hardlink mirror content?

João Carlos Mendes Luís

jonny at corp.globo.com
Wed Aug 21 23:25:41 UTC 2019

Hi,

     I'm preping a new backend for our mirror host, and just found that
centos mirror could use a little help from hardlinking. After running
`hardlink -cvvn` on our copy of centos repo, I got these results:

    *Directories 774**
    **Objects 220535**
    **IFREG 219740**
    **Comparisons 4839**
    **Would link 903**
    **Would save 2951557120*

     This means that 903 files are exactly equal (ignoring metadata,
like date, perms, etc), meaning that more than 2.9GB could be saved.
Hardly much in a 207GB repo, but a save anyway. Also, this means that
local file system cache would be optmized.

     Problem is, everytime I resync my mirror, these hardlinks are
lost.  So the hardlink shall be done in the master repo.

     Is there anything that I'm not seeing that prevents this optimization?

     Regards,

         Jonny

globo.com
*João Carlos Mendes Luís*