[CentOS-mirror] mirror

Anssi Johansson avij at centosproject.org
Sun Jul 21 10:34:39 UTC 2019

Clicking a few links is unlikely to trigger any request rate
limitations. Here's a reproducer and results:

for i in {1..100}; do curl -v
http://mirrors.datahouse.ru/centos/6/extras/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml;
done 2>&1 | grep "< HTTP" | sort | uniq -c

      33 < HTTP/1.1 200 OK
      67 < HTTP/1.1 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable

For https:

$ curl -v https://mirrors.datahouse.ru/centos/timestamp.txt
* About to connect() to mirrors.datahouse.ru port 443 (#0)
*   Trying 185.229.9.20...
* Connected to mirrors.datahouse.ru (185.229.9.20) port 443 (#0)
* Initializing NSS with certpath: sql:/etc/pki/nssdb
*   CAfile: /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
   CApath: none
* NSS error -12263 (SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG)
* SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.
* Closing connection 0
curl: (35) SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible
length.

The above error message does not really say that the server is talking
http on https port, but this one maybe clarifies that the server is
using http on the https port:

$ curl http://mirrors.datahouse.ru:443/centos/timestamp.txt
<center><h1>404 Not Found</h1></center>

The error message should have been something along the lines of "you're
speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port", not a 404.