[CentOS-mirror] New CentOS Mirror

Anssi Johansson

avij at centosproject.org
Sun Jun 16 08:19:59 UTC 2019

James kirjoitti 16.6.2019 klo 10.35:
> Is information such as bandwidth and sync schedule stored internally to
> be used in any purposeful manner (ie. prioritizing or load balancing the
> mirror list)?
>
> Reason I'm asking is that if the bandwidth or sync schedule is ever
> upgraded or changed, is it necessary to inform the centos-mirror list?

At the moment we ask these primarily to make sure the mirror has
sufficient bandwidth to be accepted, and also to make sure the mirror's
sync frequency is reasonable.

We do use the bandwidth information in one situation -- if the country
of the client requesting a list of mirrors from mirrorlist.centos.org
can't be determined, we pick a random mirror from each continent and
then a few more random mirrors from all over the world to reach the
required 10 mirrors. A requirement for these "fallback" mirrors is that
they have >= 200 Mbps of bandwidth [1]. In the past we had a static list
of fallback mirrors, but we switched to a more dynamic method last year.

Apart from that, we don't currently use the bandwidth information for
load balancing purposes, but we're collecting that information into our
database in case we some day end up changing our mirrorlist code to
prefer mirrors with more bandwidth. If this ever happens, it's likely
that we'll post a notice on the list and ask mirror admins to make sure
our bandwidth information is up-to-date. Before that happens I would not
worry about this too much.

As for sync schedules, as long as you keep your sync schedules within
sane limits, you don't need to inform the list. What constitutes a "sane
limit" is a matter of opinion, but when I'm asked about this, I usually
recommend [2] either every 6 hours or every 4 hours, depending on
mirror's preferences. The acceptable range is every 1-12 hours. We don't
record the sync frequency in our database.

[1]
https://github.com/CentOS/mirrorlists-code/blob/master/backend/makemirrorlists-combined.pl#L315
[2] https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-mirror/2019-June/011713.html