[CentOS-mirror] Removal of mirror.alpha-labs.net

Christopher Hawker

email at chrishawker.com.au
Wed Dec 9 20:48:54 UTC 2020

Hello All,

Please allow me to put in my 2c worth...

Going way back when CentOS 7 was first released, I found it difficult to migrate from 6 to 7. For example, the management of IPTables for myself was quite simple (editing a single file) and changing the way things are managed with FirewallD at the time was challenging. Over time, you adapt and learn the new systems. There still are a lot of systems that use CentOS 7 and in the process of migrating to 8, however that may now not occur.

The biggest thing that threw me off with CentOS 8 was RHEL's decision to cease native support for the SAS2008 drivers. There is still a lot of hardware in production that uses the SAS2008 chipset, and it is somewhat difficult to slipstream drivers into the installer in order to use CentOS 8 on systems with drives and cards that use SAS2008. It was quite painful for myself who had to build 64 x Dell M610 blades manually which still used storage controllers with the SAS2008 chipset.

It is a major mistake for CentOS/RHEL to cease support for CentOS 8 so early. The global IT community will take a big hit. There are going to be countless individuals, organisations, companies, schools, etc. who will scramble to migrate to platforms that are so strongly supported (*looking at Ubuntu*) and there are going to be a lot of annoyed and pissed-off devs who have been busy working to rebuild their software to ensure compatibility with CentOS 8 only to learn that the OS will no longer be supported. CentOS/RHEL should now consider CentOS 8 dead as no one will bother spending the time or effort to develop software for a system that will be obsolete in just over 12 months.

RHEL really needs to consider how they play their cards. I believe their only saving grace, is to offer licensing for RHEL 8 at no cost until it goes EOL.

Regards,
Christopher Hawker