[CentOS-mirror] Mirror traffic metrics for grant proposal

Sat Dec 12 06:50:27 UTC 2020
Alexandre Leonenko <alex at esecuredata.com>

I can give you the bandwidth graphs for past month for our CentOS mirror, it includes Ubuntu as well.
Running on raid 1 4tb HDD. We use Seagate enterprise HDD and those last in most cases 7 years. If we switched to SSDs, the bandwidth usage might go up.

We have 1gbps connection to the mirror server. Located in Vancouver Canada, there are a bunch of other mirrors in same location, including universities so our usage is quite low.

[Image]

I can give you more info regarding space used when I'm back to work in 2 days, as we locked down ssh access.

From: Jonathan Gray
Sent: Friday, December 11, 10:21 AM
Subject: [CentOS-mirror] Mirror traffic metrics for grant proposal
To: centos-mirror at centos.org

Hello all,

I was looking at creating a grant proposal for my company to sponsor a new mirror in the US, but one of the main things they would like to know is how much traffic that is both in terms of bandwidth, GB of storage, as well as rate of change in storage if possible.  Does anyone have those metrics laying around?  If it's not separable by distro, that's ok.  I can still use it as an upper-bound estimate in the proposal.

Jonathan G