[CentOS-mirror] Announcing centos-plus repo for 8-stream

Fri Oct 29 06:41:44 UTC 2021
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

We used to have a "plus" repository for CentOS 7 and 8, that contained
packages from OS, but rebuilt differently.
Most known examples in CentOS 8 plus repository are the kernel-plus and
thunderbird (with openpgp support).

As CentOS 8 is going EOL end of this year, and that some us still need
to rely on that specific thunderbird package, we agreed to just use the
SIG process for the plus repository, instead of having such packages
being built through the distro builders.

So if you're already on CentOS Stream 8 , you can just install (like for
other SIGs) a specific package containing both the .repo file *and*
needed gpg key used to sign the packages.

How to enable/use it ? :

sudo dnf install centos-release-plus -y

As stated in /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Stream-Plus.repo, you can now
enable it (remember that it can overwrite base packages, reason why we
also ship it as disabled)

sudo dnf config-manager --enable centos-stream-plus

You can now install pkg from it, like thunderbird :

sudo dnf install thunderbird

Tip: if you want to just use some pkgs from one specific repo, you can
also just use excludepkgs/includepkgs statements in your .repo
configuration (see
https://dnf.readthedocs.io/en/latest/conf_ref.html#options-for-both-main-and-repo)

--
Fabian Arrotin