[CentOS-promo] promo idea

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Mon Feb 9 19:58:21 UTC 2009

Michel Daggelinckx wrote:
> I've been to FOSDEM this weekend and noticed the small number of CentOS
> people at the booth.

Well, we weren't as much as Fedora had, but much more than OpenSuSE seemed
to have :)

> The Ubuntu people work with Local Community Teams to support and promote
> the distro.
>
> I think it would be beneficial for CentOS to setup a similar structure.

Are there people who want to do that?

> At the moment it's mostly sysadmins who introduce/sneak CentOS into
> businesses.
> Local Community Teams can setup a booth at computer fairs and other
> events. This way the general public (small businesses, non-profit
> organisations, schools, ....) are exposed to CentOS.

Again: Are there people who want to do that? I asked a few weeks ago about
a computer fair in eastern germany and there weren't that many answers (well,
to be exact there wasn't any).

If there are people willing to "man" those local groups, I don't see any
problem CentOS should or will have with that.

Do you have a proposal how local groups like that could be worked out? How
large/small areas those groups should cover? What needs to be done from the
CentOS team to support those groups? Which infrastructure is needed?

Cheers,

Ralph