[CentOS-promo] Local Community Team for CentOS

陈鲍孜 chenbaozi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 07:43:21 UTC 2009

Hello,

I’ve read the mailing lists talking about the “Local Community Team”
stuff for CentOS, which makes our team very interested.

Our team belongs to the Operating System Engineering Research Center in
China. Now we are trying to build a new distro based on CentOS. The new
distro we are building includes some new features developed by ourselves.
For example, we are planning to redistribute it on secondary architecture
such as MIPS and PPC while maintaining the x86 platform. In the future,
there may be SPARC platform required. Besides different architectures, we
have got our own virtualization solution called LuValley, which we want to
integrate into our distro in the near future and open source. There are also
a group of people in our team researching security Linux.

I am wondering if we could have some cooperation to make CentOS better, for
a stable, efficient and popular base-distro is undoubtedly beneficial for
both of us.

What I’m doing is building a infrastructure developing environment for my
team. I’m trying to transplant the feodra’s koji building system to the
CentOS which can make other people integrate their achievement smoothly. We
hope that by our effort more Chinese developers could take part in the
development for Linux distribution in the future.

However, we’ve also faced lots of challenges. The research center have only
been found for just a year. Some of my colleagues used to developing on
FreeBSD and lack an efficiency workflow and automatic tools when moving to
build Linux distro.

Yours, sincerely

Chen Baozi