[CentOS-promo] promo idea

Mon Feb 9 20:43:36 UTC 2009
Michel Daggelinckx <03taxi at gmail.com>

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Michel Daggelinckx wrote:
>
>> I've been to FOSDEM this weekend and noticed the small number of CentOS
>> people at the booth.
>>

> Well, we weren't as much as Fedora had, but much more than OpenSuSE seemed
> to have :)
>

>> The Ubuntu people work with Local Community Teams to support and promote
>> the distro.
>>
>> I think it would be beneficial for CentOS to setup a similar structure.
>>

> Are there people who want to do that?
>

>> At the moment it's mostly sysadmins who introduce/sneak CentOS into
>> businesses.
>> Local Community Teams can setup a booth at computer fairs and other
>> events. This way the general public (small businesses, non-profit
>> organisations, schools, ....) are exposed to CentOS.
>>

> Again: Are there people who want to do that? I asked a few weeks ago about
> a computer fair in eastern germany and there weren't that many answers (well,
> to be exact there wasn't any).
>
> If there are people willing to "man" those local groups, I don't see any
> problem CentOS should or will have with that.
>
> Do you have a proposal how local groups like that could be worked out? How
> large/small areas those groups should cover? What needs to be done from the
> CentOS team to support those groups? Which infrastructure is needed?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ralph
centos.org sub-domain and web space with a wiki

area size: 1 team for each country, subdivisions are possible, they
operate under the national team.

For multilingual country's: Belgium, Swiss, ... where language is key
refer to foreign teams, Belgium = French, Dutch and German so we refer
German people to German team for support.
Where location is key: fairs, meetings, ... the national team will be
responsible and can cooperate with neighboring teams.

The teams are free to organise them self in the way they see most fit,
cultural differences make it impossible to have a unified structure.
Every team should have an "official" contact for communication between
teams, the public, press and the global CentOS team.