[CentOS-promo] additions to the promo box

Garry.Dale garry.dale at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 14:24:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 3:37 AM, Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann
<ribalba at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 3:54 AM, Garry.Dale <garry.dale at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann
>> <ribalba at gmail.com> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> Maybe the Promo team could get a budget of some kind. I will talk to
>>> the people responsible in private.
>>
>> Hi, Didi.  Have you had any follow-up discussions regarding a Promo Team budget?
>
> No unfortunately not. I would like to have one though would make the
> whole thing more "professional" as we could buy stuff and not rely on
> individuals donating.

Agreed.

> For example I have been selling the T-Shirts so we can get a wireless
> router for the box and a power extension. Which are quite vital for
> conferences. Further one of those roll out banners would be nice, but
> it seams that we have a new funky one now :)

At the recent Promo event in the US, we sold several of the t-shirts
that Karanbir brought over from the EU promo box.  Those funds are
currently available to be put back into the pot.  As for the new
banner, my hope is that the project will fund that retroactively from
the "promo budget"...  :-)

> I want to get some lanyard (keychain) as they have a really good promo
> effect too.

Agreed.

> What would be really useful would be printing some CDs but I still am
> not sure if we might not waste a lot of money on that, as they might
> not all go. If we would be really rich we could ship them like Ubuntu
> for free. But on conferences it always looks quite unprofessional when
> you are handing out burnt CDs (DVDs) with a printed black and white
> sticker on them (Which we have run out now, by the way).

For the recent US event, I purchased a self-inking, rubber-stamp with
"CentOS 5" in blue, and I also purchased some inkjet-printable DVDs.
While the rubber-stamp was not top quality, it seemed a better
approach than handwriting. We also used some of the "CentOS color" DVD
sleeves that were part of the EU promo box (nice touch).

Any idea as to what the ROI is to the project when DVDs are given
away? I have no idea.  I do know that of the approx 25 DVDs that were
handed out at the recent US event, we received approx $2 USD in total
donations (our suggested donation for a DVD was $1 USD each).  The
t-shirts were a much larger draw for donations....

gd