[CentOS-promo] [DRAFT] Code of Conduct for CentOS Dojos

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Feb 21 10:54:18 UTC 2014

hi,

On 02/21/2014 10:31 AM, Rejy M Cyriac wrote:
>> I fully agree with Andreas in everything he mentioned above.

me too

> I agree that it should not be given prominent advertising at the venue.
> It just needs a mention anywhere (a sort of terms and conditions), when
> folks sign-up for the Dojo. It is not meant to be aggressive, or to
> deter people, but to function as a fall-back mechanism just in case
> things do go wrong. We cannot be too careful about racism and gender
> issues these days, in many places around the globe.

To a large extent this is as much about what to do and howto handle
things should they go south.

I've been to a fair few conferences and havent noticed or heard of
anything that might need to be addressed in this manner - but then I
dont do many conferences in the US where this has been a much bigger
problem - having said that, creating a fair and reasonable environment
for everyone to come and attend/present at a gathering should be the
norm, and I dont see any harm in setting a baseline expectation. And one
that is common across the board for everyone, everywhere.

Plus, it seems that its almost fashionable to have a code of conduct and
everyone is expected to have one. We could sum it up with a 'dont be an
idiot', but then definitions of idiot might vary and are subject to
viewpoints - so we need a bit more verbage to quantify it :)

--
Karanbir Singh