[CentOS-promo] CentOS Dojo at Bangalore & Pune , India

Wed Mar 5 06:25:41 UTC 2014
Rejy M Cyriac <rcyriac at redhat.com>

On 02/13/2014 02:06 PM, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> On 13/02/14 08:44, Rejy M Cyriac wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is the first time that I am mailing to this list. So I believe a
>> small introduction may be good.
>
> Yes, always a good idea to introduce yourself.
>

>> My name is Rejy M Cyriac (rmc), and I work in Quality Engineering at Red
>> Hat, Bangalore office. I have used CentOS a lot in the early days, and
>> then RHEL and Fedora took up most of my time. But I have been following
>> the CentOS space always, and especially have taken particular attention
>> to explain to interested folks on how Fedora, RHEL, and CentOS are all
>> part of the same ecosystem. And so I was pretty overjoyed when I heard
>> the news of the new closer relationship between Red Hat and CentOS.
>>
>> Ever since, I have been thinking how exciting it would be to contribute
>> to organising CentOS Dojo(s) in India. I got to know from Karanbir Singh
>> that there have been some initial movements in setting up a CentOS Dojo
>> at Bangalore, and that it would be desirable to have a Dojo at Pune too.
>> There are quite a lot of folks at the Red Hat offices in Bangalore and
>> Pune who would be interested in contributing to this.
>>
>> I had an initial discussion with some interested folks at the Red Hat
>> Bangalore office, and two Red Hatters - Dominic Geevarghese and
>> Neependra Khare - have volunteered from the Bangalore office to take the
>> lead in working with the CentOS community to organize a Dojo at
>> Bangalore this year. If there is no venue set for the event as yet, we
>> could consider the use of the Red Hat Bangalore office for conducting
>> the event. Dominic <share2dom at gmail.com> and Neependra
>> also been copied into this mail.
>>
>> We can also work together to have a Dojo at Pune, and I working on a
>> contact person from the Red Hat Pune office for this. I believe there is
>> interest in the CentOS community for this, right ?
>>
>> I hope that this is the right forum to discuss these things. I would be
>> very happy to hear views from folks here, on these proposals.
>>

> Yes, It's definitely the best place to discuss this.
> Welcome to the centos-promo list ! :-)
>
> So  the first thing to do, wrt Dojo, would be to see which members of
> the community are willing to help organizing the Dojo, and present
> something.
> Usually we like the idea that a Dojo is organized by the community for
> the community.
> Technical presentations, user stories and so one are typical talks for a
> Dojo.

Yes, I agree with you. It works best when the members of the community
are deeply involved in organizing the Dojo, and not just being
attendees. The Dojo should not just be a platform for sharing knowledge,
but also an opportunity for the community to interact and grow together.
I chipped in here, to offer a venue to conduct the Dojo, in case finding
a venue to meet is a blocker.

Do we have a venue and date set for conducting the Dojo at Bangalore
this year ?

Do we use the general CentOS mailing list to invite talks for the Dojo,
and in case of too many proposals, do we use voting by the community to
decide which talks are selected ?

Are hands-on workshops generally done in a Dojo ?

Forgive me for asking too many questions, I am on a learning curve here :-)

--
Regards,

Rejy M Cyriac (rmc)