[CentOS-promo] 10 year anniversary

Mon May 5 22:14:25 UTC 2014
Always Learning <centos at u62.u22.net>

On Mon, 2014-05-05 at 14:44 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:

> BTW, as a separate thread, I wanted to tackle the inconsistency we
> have in logos - get us to pick one logo, colorset, and font to go
> with. I'll start this on centos-devel.

> What ideas do you have for a design?

What is needed is a logo and the Centos name. Most business people have
never heard of Linux - they only know about Micro$oft even though using
Centos can save a large organisation vast amounts of money.

The design must look neat and appealing. It should eventually become
immediately identifiable with something suggesting professional quality
and reliability. Ultimately it should be something even the suit wearing
CEO would consider wearing.

A unique combination of colours and the brand name. For example (and its
only spontaneous) the name CentOS in a nice typeface (font) above an eye
catching display of colours. Or, a large C with smaller 'entos' over
some eye catching colours. The presentation of the name and the colour
combination should look expensive, chic and desirable to wear even for
those you do not wish to be considered computer nerds (and similar).

Once the name+logo are established there is a massive marketing
opportunity for more brash styles such as a women's pink top with (for
example) "I'm a Centos girl", "I'm a Centos babe" or even "Speak Centos
to me". The more casual exploitation of the Centos name+logo is
infinite. But the corporate acceptability of a really chic, smart,
attractive and desirable name+logo is long overdue and essential to
pushing Centos into the M$ dominated corporate world.

Making the polo / tee-shirt affordable is also of major importance. That
means direct factory supplies from Asia, in variety of colours and
sizes. Letting local print shops do the work means no effective quality
control and thus potentially damaging to the Centos brand image.

Next question is printing or embroidery ?

One advantage of a quality product sold at a cheap price is greater
sales. The more Centos garments worn, the greater the penetration into
the general public sphere = more interest and curiosity about Centos.

Also needed is a Centos (name and logo) pin badge.

Ideally a Centos marketing company should be established to bring Centos
products into the general public arena but always at an affordable
price. Ideally the company should be established in China:-

* where postal rates to the rest of the world are cheap

* products are cheap

and sales made through Ebay for example.

--
Paul.
England,

   Our systems are exclusively Centos. No Micro$oft Windoze here.