[CentOS-promo] For CentOS Dojo before Fosdem -- Path from Software Collections to Containers for OpenShift

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Wed Dec 9 08:31:23 UTC 2015

A talk suggestion for the CentOS Dojo, Developer track:

Path from Software Collections to Containers for OpenShift

Container technologies bring many new challenges to every part of
software engineering, from application developers, administrators to
maintainers in Linux distributions. Let's take a look at the process of
writing, building, delivering and running Docker containers in the world
of enterprise system.

To be it more interesting, we do not use ordinary packages for building
container images, we use Software Collections, because it brings some
benefits for both those technologies.

The talk will cover best practices we have identified during preparation
of container images for databases and various language platforms. In the
end we provide set of container images that are usable as standalone
services, services orchestrated using kubernetes or even PaaS like
OpenShift.

Length: 40-60 min, including Q&A

Speaker:
Honza has worked in Red Hat and is mainly responsible for delivering and
keeping databases in a good shape. He also actively participates in
Software Collections development with special focus on containers
development. In CentOS community he is heavily involved in Software
Collections SIG where he works on delivering this concept to CentOS users.
http://themindiseverything.eu/
https://twitter.com/HorakHonza
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+HonzaHorakCzech