[CentOS-promo] Dojo's and Cfp's

Karanbir Singh

kbsingh at centos.org
Tue Jun 13 11:13:07 UTC 2017

hi

Its been a while since we started the dojo process, and I thought it
might be good to recap once how the cfp's have worked in the past - As
we reboot this effort, I hope we can get better at this and take what we
can and works, and just do things differently as needed.

In the early days, the intention was very much to have a dojo be a local
event, primarily targeting a local audience and then focusing on content
they are most interested in.

Couple of the main highlights from the dojo's:

1) try and ensure everyone attending has a chance to introduce
themselves to the entire audience.

2) ensure we have speakers from the local attendees, people that the
audience can already identify with ideally. It encourages these people
to become and improve their community participation - and gives the
local audience a few people they can rally around ongoing.

3) ensure we have atleast 1 or 2 people talking about CentOS, the
project and CentOS the Linux distro / infra / process etc ( ie. not
about the code )

4) address the audience with the scope they care for - so rather than
doing a Cfp' weve mostly run dojos with invited speakers talking about a
pre-selected subject base that would be interesting to the audience.
Atleast 1 or 2 of the sessions should be a tutorial like format ( if we
have 2 rooms, that makes it easier to have hack sessions as well, or in
depth sessions around something specific ).

5) encourage cost of facilities and dojo to come from a sponsor, and
make it free of cost to attend. Sponsors are welcome to join the speaker
lineup with a topical session

6) Try and setup the room in a way that the dojo can bootstrap a local
effort ongoing - so we can help the team come back together, a year down
the road, and rerun the dojo without CentOS project participation.
ideally, bootstrapping a local community around sysadmin, user-scope,
emerging tech in operations and devops etc. Allow the group to retain
the CentOS Dojo name for the event, but also ensure they keep it to the
spirit and scope of the intended goals.

regards,

--
Karanbir Singh, Project Lead, The CentOS Project
+44-207-0999389 | http://www.centos.org/ | twitter.com/CentOS