[CentOS-promo] CentOS 15th Birthday, 14 May 2019

Fabian Arrotin arrfab at centos.org
Thu Oct 18 00:46:03 UTC 2018

On 08/10/18 17:51, Rich Bowen wrote:
> Starting this discussion well in advance so that we have plenty of time
> to figure out what we want to do.
>
> Looking back five years:
> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-promo/2014-July/001382.html
>
> I'm hoping to do many of the same things that were suggested last time,
> including:
>
> * Birthday cakes at each Dojo event in 2019, starting at FOSDEM. (I'm
> investigating adding this to our lunch at the Brussels Dojo.)
>
> * Commemorative sports jersey in the style of the one in the above email
> thread.
>
> * Retrospective blog series, including thoughts from the project
> founders, statistics over the years, and stories from users about how
> their use of CentOS has evolved over the last 15 years.
>
> * Possibly a refresh of our web site design (including a consistent
> theme across wiki, forums, blog), incorporating a "15 years" message of
> some kind.
>
> If you'd like to help with this effort, or have other suggestions,
> please speak up. The actual date of the birthday is 14 May 2019, but I
> think we want to make it a year-long celebration, rather than a single
> day event.

That sounds like some great ideas ! :)

WRT "theme" refresh, I'd say that a common theme across all the web
UIs/apps we have would be good, but, while being done for the "15
years", it shouldn't really in itself have that "15 years" string really
in the design.
It would rather need a specific logo maybe on the website, but the theme
should be still working after 2019, otherwise we'd end up with something
like the "new design" theme that we used everywhere (like even on the
roll-up for Fosdem) but for several years :-)

Some Web UIs that we can refresh (or even do as nothing applied so far
for some) :
- www.centos.org
- wiki.centos.org
- mailman (lists.centos.org)
- common headers for httpd servers serving content
(mirror,cloud,vault,buildlogs,people, etc)
- forums (www.centos.org/forums and fr.centos.org but I'd like to unify
soon that somewhere)
- ipsilon/idp (id.centos.org)
- blog (blog.centos.org)